Friday, May 23, 2008

A Pumpkin-ey Kind of Day

Last night I made vegan pumpkin scones based on this recipe at Love of Oats. To make it gluten-free, I varied the recipe a bit. As a substitute for the 3 cups of flour, I used 1 cup white rice flour, 1 cup tapioca flour, and 1 cup sorghum flour. I also added 1 tsp. xanthan gum for extra rising power (since I wasn't using wheat flour).

Instead of 6 tbsp. of vegan margarine, I only used 3 tbsp. Then I added 3 tbsp. of applesauce. Next time I'll probably use applesauce as a sub for all the margarine, instead of just half. I also left off the brown sugar topping.

These scones came out so good! Just like pumpkin pie! (Well, almost. :-)

Good to the last bite!


This morning for breakfast I made pumpkin oatmeal with a tbsp of my leftover pumpkin:


One tbsp was just enough to add flavor, yet didn't make it too overpowering. Delish.

No comments: